A useful and fun way to add more movement into your nightly routine? Yes, please. Use the power of yoga to turn your down time into something healthy. Child's pose has a variety of health benefits and is particularly useful for people suffering from lower back pain.
Child's pose: How to
- Kneeling on floors with knees touching and buttocks resting on the feet
- Exhale and lower your torso over the thighs
- Touch forehad to the ground
- Lift buttocks slightly and stretch arms over the head
- Touch your palms to the floor until you feel shoulder blades stretching
- Stay in this position practicing deep breathing for up to 3 minutes or as long as you feel possible,
The benefits of child's pose:
- Stretches hips, thighs, ankles
- Lengthens the spine, relieving neck and back pain
- Deep breathing relaxes the mind and body
- Relieves tension and accumulated anxiety
- Increases circulation
Think of your body as it slowly tightens, accumulating more and more tension as you press the button for that next episode. The healthy thinker wants to break this cycle of tightening. Child's pose is an easy and fun way to do this from the comfort of your own living room. Give it a try next time the thought strikes you and see much better your body feels. To optimize every aspect of your life and change toward a more holistic and healthy back care life style, call our office in Brooklyn at to schedule an appointment today.
Dr. Karen Thomas, D.C., L.Ac.