The spines of tennis players face a unique mix of stresses
For being classified as a low-impact sport, tennis actually contributes to a lot of wear and tear throughout the body. Once you look at the nature of the sport, you begin to see why injuries are so common in the tennis community. To begin with:
- Shearing forces in the lower extremities: you speed up then come to a full stop, then accelerate in the opposite direction. This unpredictable procession of motions wears down the load bearing joints in the legs and lower spine.
- Repetitive stress: applied to the same local areas over and over again, creates a disproportionate amount of stress to a given region.
- Ballistic motion: increases the pressure on the joints in the upper extremities, as well as the thoracic and cervical spinal segments.
- Twisting motion: side-to-side motion increases the amount of overall spinal pressure.
How we help mitigate pain and dysfunction for tennis players in Park Slope
Our combination of chiropractic and acupuncture modalities help tennis athletes discover their best from while preventing injury.
- Spinal adjustment: balances the body, improves range of motion and circulation, mitigates back pain and prevents injury.
- Decompression: alleviates pressure from the spine, rehydrates intervertebral discs and facilitates healing.
- Stretching for tennis players: focusing on the core muscles, as well as those in the upper and lower extremities; yes, tennis is a holistic exercise that requires stretching for every part.
- Acupuncture: increases local, as well as full-body, circulation and facilitates healing.
Performing your best on court: chiropractic for tennis players in Brooklyn
Our overall goals for helping tennis players include: maintaining a high standard for range of motion, balancing the body so that musculature develops evenly, and improving coordination between body and brain, via the nervous system. If you are interested in using our natural modalities to improve your game on the court, give our office in Park Slope a call to schedule an appointment today.